Inspired to connect: A Buddhist's photographs of the Korean Catholic martyrs' sites

A little over a month ago, I found this article about a Korean photographer, Lee Seoung-ho, a Buddhist, who felt drawn to document the history of the Catholic martyrs in Korea. To quote the article, written by reporter Kang Hyun-kyung with The Korea Times:
Lee Seoung-ho felt his heart was sinking when four children’s graves near a Catholic cemetery caught his eye six years ago. The cemetery, which is home to 37 tombs of Catholic martyrs sacrificed in the bloody persecution in the 19th century, is part of the Hanti Martyrs' Shrine Pilgrimage, a 45.6- kilometer route stretched along Mount Palgong in the rustic southeastern county of Chilgok, North Gyeongsang Province.
The article describes how Mr. Lee felt drawn to explore and document the lives of the martyrs and their mountain villages where they raised their families in community, staying faithful despite persecution. He published a photobook, titled “Gongso: A Place Cherishing Memories of Korean Catholicism.”

Quoting the article again, in Mr. Lee's words: "Those unknown souls haunted me and guided me to embark on field trips to find the traces of Catholic martyrs nationwide over the past six years..."

I was so moved by this man's depth of understanding and spiritual heart for the Catholic martyrs that I reached out to the writer, Ms. Kang, and asked about when and where the exhibit of these photos will be. I also asked it it would be possible to meet the photographer, himself. Unexpectedly, I received a response in a couple of days stating that Mr. Lee would be willing to meet me and that his photos will be exhibited in Busan in October!

I'm going to do my very best to organize my itinerary so that I can meet him, if he is still willing, and so that I can see those photographs. The schedule will be a bit tight, as my flight leaves Incheon on Oct. 3, but I think I can swing it. At the least, I will want to buy the photobook.

I'm very grateful to Kang Hyun-kyung for her moving article and her willingness to help me connect with Mr. Lee. Please follow the link to the article to read the entire piece and look at some of Mr. Lee's stunning photos. 

Comments