Two months to go! Getting my travel on.

Two months from today, I'll be boarding a plane at Rochester International Airport bound for Detroit, then on to Incheon. Since Korea is 13 hours ahead of EDT, I'll be arriving on Sept. 18, at 5:20 p.m. 

My flight to Detroit has changed twice since I purchased the ticket in May, but only for a slightly longer layover. "More time in duty free shopping," my friend and supporter Binh texted me. Binh has contributed to my fundraiser, and he has graciously offered to bring me to and from the airport -- even though my return flight lands in Rochester at midnight! Thank you, Binh!

How to travel well 

I haven't flown in several years, but I remember my personal routine and pointers for traveling well. Yes, there's a right and a wrong way!

  • Stretch:  I like the window seat for short flights, but for the international flight, it'll be aisle seat. I know I need to get up every hour or so and stretch my legs, and I'll have a little more stretch room with the aisle next to me. This helps with edema (swelling due to fluid retention) in my ankles, which I do tend to experience in flight. Side note: once I get to my hotel, I have found that lying down with my feet up against the wall is helpful for reducing the swelling. Same for massaging calves and ankles.
  • Sanitize: Even before the 'vidI was in the habit of bringing sanitizing wipes on a flight for all surfaces - tray table, head rest, back of the seat in front of me, arm rests, etc. Of course now to this we must add the ubiquitous hand sanitizer. Here's my fave at only $1.99 a bottle from Trader Joe's:
  • Hydrate: Very important! I will reduce my usual coffee consumption to stay hydrated AND for the double benefit of not running to the airplane bathroom twenty times. Reduces swelling and helps a great deal in normalizing with the time diff.
  • Get on Korea time ASAP - Speaking of time diff, as soon as I get on that international flight, I turn watch/devices to Korea time and start thinking in those terms. It helps with jet lag just a bit. Same thing coming home.
  • Acclimate:  I'll spend one full day getting acclimated before I try to "do" anything. However, walking around will be essential, so as to help circulation. But from a mental standpoint, the adjustment to a new place and language I don't know well is helpful before I dive in.
Do you have any other suggestions for me? Leave them in the comments!



Comments