Current mood: Relaxed and focused

Two weeks from today, I'll be on my way to Korea.

I just met a co-worker (one of the generous donors for this pilgrimage film) in the hallway a few minutes ago. He asked me what my current thoughts of hope and anxiety were leading up to the trip. I replied that everything is hopeful, actually, and I don't really carry any anxiety. I guess I hadn't thought about it until he asked. 

Erie Canal, Fairport, NY
In these two weeks before my departure, the school year is starting, which means my three classes of high school theology will be a prime focus for me, including devising three weeks of lesson plans for my subs while I'm away. I also have early deadlines for my newspaper job since I'll be gone for production week. And I will be submitting my application to the GVCA for a grant to help make the film.

It's a lot, to be honest. 

But you know what? I'm not anxious. I feel grounded, capable, focused, and above all, hopeful. 

This is a new experience for me. For quite some time, I've been working on and praying about my propensity for trying to manage All The Things in a controlling, hyper-future-facing, what-if-worst-case mode, which only leads to paralyzing anxiety and sinus problems (think Felix Ungar from "The Odd Couple"). 

Anticipation? Yes, I have that in spades. And I'm sure there will be things to face on the ground once I get there, but I am trusting in God's providence: the people he's placed in my path to guide me, the adventures he has in store for me, and my own capabilities which he augments.

I spent my Labor Day Weekend enjoying the area where I live, including a walk by the Erie Canal. My focus was on staying relaxed and resting in the present moment. I aim to do the same in Korea amidst the spiritual pilgrimage, personal relationships, and filming experiences. 

Comments